Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Today was a pretty up and down day but the kids made it worth it. I've been feeling a little homesick and lonely but when we split up into our families I can't help but love those kids. They are amazing and so smart. Today I learned a few more names... unfortunately I don't really know how to write them. There's Kumar, I actually think a lot of kids are named Kumar, Sorree (that's his nickname which means itching) I didn't learn his real name. Oh and Amulraj. There were a bunch more but I can't remember them! They are so fun. Today they showed me magic tricks and they are quite the magicians. Krishna would take a bouncy ball and make it disappear. He was pretty good at it. Then they did this other trick where they would stick a small rock between their thumb and forefinger. They would wave their hand around and ask you to guess "in or out?" It was a fun little game and I'll have to remember it for the future.

Pretty much all the kids knew my name... which makes me happy. They were bummed I didn't bring my camera (which explains why there's no pictures this blog post). I wanted to connect to the kids more and it seems when you have your camera they just want to take pictures and such. Another funny thing is I added powder to my water to give it flavor. The kids tried it and at first they hated it but then Krishna tried it and said he liked it so after that they pretty much all liked it. 3 of them (including Krishna) asked me to bring them a packet tomorrow. Also my camera. I figure today was a good day, I got to know them better but missed out on some great pictures. So tomorrow... more pictures!!!

My group today did construction. Our job was to take this stack of bricks about 7 X 3 and move it into the community center they are building at the Leprosy colony (FYI they are leprosy afflicted or affected not lepers, that term is extremely derogatory.) We finished the WHOLE stack of bricks in about and hour and a half and man did we feel good. I thought it was really cool when our driver and the guy carrying the mortar also helped. A little extra help never hurt. :)

I think that's it for today but since this is pretty much my journal there will definitely be another post tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Those pictures of the children you took look amazing!!!!!! I'm really glad you have a nice camera to capture the memories you have in India :)

    ReplyDelete