Friday, July 23, 2010

Delhi!!!

Today I began my Delhi trip. It started off by me having my iPod set to Utah time so my group didn’t get up for the bus that was supposed to leave at 3:30. Instead Jennie, the head lady came to our rooms and woke us up with “Hey guys, the bus was supposed to leave 5 minutes ago. “ My roommates and I jolted out of bed, grabbed our stuff, and were out the door in like 5 minutes! After that exciting start to the day it was a 2 hour bus ride to the Chennai airport,  then a 2 hour plane ride. The plane ride pretty uneventful except for me watching my favorite movie “Whip It.” I love that movie so much and when I watch it a feel more like me and that I can go do whatever I want to do. When we got to Delhi the tour guides greeted us and took us to a bright orange bus with TOURIST printed in bold letters on the windshield. Like a big group of white people isn’t obvious enough. J We rode on the bus for what seemed like hours but finally stopped and were taken to bike rickshaws. Let me tell you, if you thought Indian traffic was crazy just wait til you experience behind a bike. Thrilling but scary.













We went to the spice market, McDonalds, the red fort, and a silk shop. McDonalds was exciting because I ordered the McVeggie meal. It was actually pretty good and the fries tasted like they do in America. The McVeggie is basically a veggie patty made of garbonzo beans and such, with mayo and lots of fat and calories. It was good! I wish it was on the menu in Utah. I might actually go to McDonalds more.












Picture for Madi of the cone I got while at McDonalds. 25 rupees roughly 50 cents. It's a fill in until I get back home for the arctic circle 60 cent cones. :)




But what really made my day was the silk shop. When we first got there a bunch of ladies were like “try a sari, try sari.” I was hesitant at first but am so glad I finally did. It was my first time wearing a sari and they are a beautiful, elegant, item of clothing. The first one they showed me was blue with hand embroidered flowers on it.






 I loved it instantly but wanted to browse a bit more before finally picking one. I actually didn’t try any others on and ended up buying it. Now all I need is a underskirt and possibly a different blouse. I bought one there but it is a bit thin. By the way Maren while I was there of course I got you one. I think you’ll love it. Do you want a pic or should I surprise you? Either way it’s fabulous and when I get back we should have a sari party or something. The only downer about today is still feeling lonely. I really put myself out there today trying to make friends with the volunteers. But I guess they had other ideas. Either way I’m still going to make the best of my time at Rising Star, friends or no friends. This experience is going to be life changing and I want to keep it a positive one. Well tomorrow morning (5 AM) I’ll be off to see the Taj Mahal with the sunrising. I cannot wait. So many amazing experiences packed into this one weekend. The sad news though, is once I get back to Rising Star I only have 4 more days left there. Sniff, sniff. The time has come by so quick yet slow at the same time I miss home a ton but I know once I leave campus that I will absolutely miss the kids in my family just as much. That’s all for now.

Namaste,
EMS
Emily

2 comments:

  1. I think grandma still has a sari. She got it from a foreign exchange student that stayed with us for three weeks (about 1960). You will have to all wear your saris and get a picture together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love the pictures you post. Even though I can't see your face in reality yet I love to see it in pictures. Keep posting!

    ReplyDelete