Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Leprosy Colonies

I've missed blogging on a few of the colonies we've been to. We went on a special service trip to 2 colonies in another state, Andrah Pradesh. Also when we got back a coordinator was sick and the kids had exams so we could choose between medical or construction. I picked medical because I love it and you feel such a connection to the people. Also construction is hard work!

I don't know what the colonies in Andrah Pradesh were called but getting there was not easy. It was "supposed" to be around a 4 hour bus drive but that turned into 8 what with getting stopped all the time and having to bribe. I guess there was a problem with the van we took that was RSO. In order to cross the border it had to be a commercial van, not personal, and could only have 12 seats. It had 13. After renting a van and throwing some money in peoples faces we were across the border. That's not all the bribed but that's not what was important about this trip. The importance was serving people at colonies who rarely if ever receive medical help.

Finally arriving in Andrah Pradesh (I don't even know what city) and checking into our hotel (the hotel grand... really grand) we got some much needed lunch and chilled for like 15 minutes. Then it was back on the bus that we'd already been on for 8 hours! I slept most of the way there but I guess it was like a 40 min. long bus ride to the colony. We get there and the colony is in the middle of the jungle. It was beautiful. I guess they'd been waiting there since that morning (we arrived late with the delays and everything.) The people lovingly greeted us and gave us such a warm reception. They even served us soda. I'd never had Indian soda before but it was actually pretty delish. They even had us stand on a stage while greeting us. After the reception we instantly got to work. Buckets were filled up for washing, chairs were set up, lines were formed. I was placed on photography which means I helped take pictures of the people hands and feet. Dr. Kumar had done that before when he'd come and we did again just to keep track of their progress. I helped hold up their feet. I could've acted grossed out and disgusted by the state of their feet but I tried my best to give them a smile and let them know I wasn't grossed out. I wanted to let them know they were loved and not "untouchable."

No comments:

Post a Comment