Sunday, July 11, 2010

At Last!!!

I'm finally in India! All is well. I love it here and I love the people. They are so happy here yet their lives are simple without much need for "stuff." I got bored on our 10 hour layover in New Delhi so I took some pics. Have a look.




MMMMM... Chocolate croissant!

And then here are some pictures of Chennai as we're flying in and the chaotic traffic. Tons of rickshaws and motorcycles. It works though. And I actually feel pretty safe. I'll try to post a video so you get the idea.









This is what I say when I ate breakfast this morning. The best! I love how there's all these trees mixed in with apartments and sky scrapers. It's a jungle!




When we arrived at the hotel this morning, shortly after we went on a tour of Chennai and here are some pictures.





I love Ganesh!!! Favorite Hindu God. Taken at a Hindu temple.

Check out the beach!

Catholic Church built over St. Thomas' tomb.

Cool guy.

And one of many bikers. Crazy. The motorcycles and rickshaws drive like they own the road.

5 comments:

  1. Yeah, Ganesh is kind of neat. Do you know why he has an elephant head? Interestingly although there are many gods their worship, if I understand correctly they represent just three different gods. The head God had been gone for a long time and he came home to find his son (who was now a grown man) with his mother. He was furious and took off his head. Then the mother explained that it was his son, so he grabbed the first animal which happened to be an elephant and so now his son has the head of an elephant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW, Cachemagic is uncle Russell Anderson

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing, Emily. The pictures are great! I'm excited to hear more about things at Rising Star, once you arrive. Love, Aunt Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's interesting. I should've brushed up on my Hindu gods before coming. I'll be sure to post about Rising Star. In fact I'm doing that right now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's great to see the pictures, to see the people and the places you are working in. It's a very interesting culture. Enjoy every moment -- before you know it you will be back in Utah. And, you will never be the same, because of these precious experiences.

    ReplyDelete