Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Leprosy Colony

Monday my group finally went to a leprosy colony. There are 3 groups that rotate between medical, construction, and tutoring. My group had medical last week but we were at the school taking the kids height, weight, and giving them vaccines. I was getting myself all prepared for bloody, stinky ulcers, and skin flaking off but it wasn't that bad. The colonies we visit, Rising Star has been helping for years so the leprosy is handled and there's nothing too nasty. However, tomorrow we all leave for 2 colonies in Andhar Pradesh. These colonies haven't seen doctors for months if not years. So this is where the ulcers will be bloody and the skin flaking off. It should be a good experience though. Definitely a learning opportunity.

The leprosy colony we went to on Monday was called Bethel Nagar. This man greeted us there and he had an amazing story. They told us on the van that he'd been blind for 20 years because of cataracts and something else. The doctors wouldn't operate on him until Dr. Kumar told them they had nothing to lose. (Kumar is the doctor with Rising Star) The man can know see and he cannot stop singing praises to the heavens. "Hallelujah! Hallelujah!" he went around saying.

I washed the patients feet and did diabetes test. This experience is amazing and I know it will change my life. I'm still struggling making friends here but yesterday when we were in Andhar Pradesh helping at a leprosy colony I lost myself in the service of these people. I love being here and feeling like everyday I help someone. Service is an amazing feeling. :)

P.S. I'll post about the 2 day excursion to Andhar Pradesh ASAP. This is just a taste of what those two days were like. Also this post is confusing because I wrote it before and after the 2 day trip.

Pictures to be added but it's uploading slow so it'll have to wait. You can see some of them on my facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment